Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Interview with Jelterow Mckinnie, Jr.

My guest today is Jelterow Mckinnie, Jr.
Jelterow is from the Great State of Florida. He enjoys freshwater fishing, swimming, playing chess and writing.

Hi Jelterow, welcome to just books.
Would you please start by telling us how your writing journey began...?
While I was at college, my English professor (Dr. Firestone) often told me that he enjoyed my writings and suggested that one day I publish some of them. At that point – I saw a market for my writing and looked for the opportunity to put my writings before readers around the world.


...and what made you decide to put your work out there to be read by others?
Again, Dr.Firestone – he was very kind to me concerning the entertainment value of what I wrote – he always said I took a strange and different point of view that kept him interested in the story.


What’s the best writing advice you’ve been given?
To just keep writing – once you finish a book, get started on another one. If you don’t have a complete idea for a book – then write and create a character to be used one day. In fact, my book: Live, Laugh, and Love came about that way. I was writing something else and my grandfather passed away and in grieving him, I created a character based on him and I planned to put the character into what I was writing at the time. However, in creating that character I ended up creating another story. Right this moment, I don’t even recall what the original story that I created the character for was about – but, Live, Laugh, and Love just sort of came to life during the character creation process (making a back story for the character, a personality for the character, etc).


The best thing about being an author is….
The creation process! I really enjoy creating a story – all the parts of it. It’s fun to dream up something from your mind and see it come to life – and the best part is you are in control of all the elements of it. So, if you find yourself writing that the main character is trapped in a capsule headed directly for the Sun – you can, at your sole discretion, decide to bend space-time and allow the capsule to suddenly end up approaching the very same planet it left. Definitely, the creation process is the best part of being an author to me.



Plotter or Panster?
I guess I’d have to say that I’m a…”planster”; a little of both!
For example, I have no direction for coming up with the story idea – I just thank God and give Him all the praise for it in Jesus Name, because often ideas just come flooding in. However; once I have the idea – and I outline the story, I take a lot of time and care to introduce elements that are based on some kind of science fact or fact of some sort. For example, in my 607 Orange Street series – many of the stories are based on scientific theory. Be it time travel, astral travel, the multiverse, quantum mechanics, or even aliens from outer space – the characters in the story will adhere to all the known and accepted rules of the environment; such that, should the reader decide to inquire about the environment they will be presented with scientific theory (be it controversial or not).


Do you use your personal experiences in your writing?
Very often – I mean, how can one hold a point of view that truly belongs to just them; somewhere, at some point in time – the point of view you currently hold (and may soon change) was generated based on other people or external forces and their interactions with you. To help with it, I do try to generate a point of view and self image for the major characters in the story and at times certain environments that I’ve spent time in or certain viewpoints that I’ve held will present themselves. I also combine points of views that I’ve witnessed or experienced first-hand to generate a somewhat unique point of view. But not since Adam was alone without Eve has there been a point where various people don’t share aspects of the same point of view. So, I take advantage of it as much as possible and strive to create a character in a story that either reflects some of the reader’s values and viewpoints or reflects some of the values and viewpoints that the reader knows or will know one day.


Who is your intended audience and why should they read your books?
Everybody who enjoys reading is my intended audience – I believe that at least one of my books will appeal to any reader anywhere in the world! I write my stories to be entertaining and to leave the reader feeling something they didn’t think they could feel or best of all thinking totally different about something that they swore they were rock solid on. If you’d like to take a nice little trip with your imagination and need some “fuel” – read one of my books!


Which of your books was the most fun to write?
To date, Jairus – my latest book! It is my first venture into Christian Fiction and is intended to help followers of Jesus learn to use their imagination to strengthen their faith by following the wonderful examples of Jairus and the woman with the issue of blood as well as others found in the Gospel of Mark, chapter 5, verses 21 to 43.
In Jesus time, there was no video or texting – news traveled by word of mouth and I had fun envisioning how some of the news of the miracles Jesus was doing would have been spread around by others outside of the Apostles and the points of view they may have had on those miracles. For example, a laborer in the story speaks about Jesus miracle of turning water into wine from a business point of view and the story is overheard by the woman with the issue of blood and works towards building her faith to the point where she is able to get her healing using a faith command.
Consider this, an admitted follower of Jesus prays for healing. The minute they finish their prayer thoughts come to their mind about them not being healed – in fact their imagination begins to play scenes of them getting worse and perhaps even passing away from the illness. According the Word of God found in 2nd Corinthians chapter 10 verses 4 and 5 – we can control our imaginations (our thoughts) and force them to align with our prayers! So, instead of that follower of Jesus using their imagination to see themselves passing away from the illness – they will cast down those images and force their imagination to see themselves healed and enjoying life! Without a doubt, Jairus – the most fun to write so far!


What can we expect from you in the future?
Books, books, and more books – great stories – some of them will be made into film and some of them will only be written for film and some of them will become classics for the world to enjoy and every reader will be entertained and really enjoy my writings! That’s the future – writing more stories for people to enjoy!


What advice would you give to an aspiring author?
Keep writing – don’t stop!


What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I enjoy the friends and family God has blessed me with at all times- even when I’m writing. Also, fishing is enjoyable – but fresh water fishing; salt water fishing has tons of rules and fishing methods and sometimes the fish you catch can eat you! Swimming is another favorite, although I don’t do it as much as I use to – I once spent an entire summer in the pool, but that’s a whole other story (LOL). I am always looking for a good game of chess. Being able to wake up in the morning and doing what you want to do, when you want to do it – that’s the best!


If you could travel to any time in history, when would you visit?
Based on what I’ve read and studied about history – right now is the best time and place for me to be! We got: working electricity, air conditioning, automobiles, airplanes that tend to stay in the air, clean drinking water (most places), clean food (most places), enough knowledge to know that we need toilet paper and not leaves or sticks…makeup for the women! Nope, I’m not interested in going back in history to any time period other than right now!


Optimist or pessimist?
I follow Jesus…therefore, optimist!


If you were ever stranded on a deserted island what would you miss and which three books would you take along?
I would miss civilization – I would take the following three books: the Bible; Building Classic Small Craft: Complete Plans and Instructions for 47 Boats by John Gardner; and, Harvest Your Own Lumber: How to Fell, Saw, Dry and Mill Wood by John English!


If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?
The ability to use 100% of my brain – let’s open that oyster and see what we find!


Is there anything else you’d like to share with us?
I would like to say that I am very thankful and humbled by your willingness to interview me! It’s a wonderful opportunity and I am very grateful to you for it and I thank God for you and pray and believe that God pours His blessings upon you!
Thank you for interviewing me – I had a lot of fun!


Thank you for joining us, Jelterow.  One last question before you go...
How and where can my readers get in touch with you?
The best way to interact with me online is to go to Google and type in: Jelterow Mckinnie, Jr. from there you may interact with me using your favorite social media and purchase as many of my books as you like and remember they make great gifts year round!










No comments :

Post a Comment