Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Interview with Rhett C. Bruno

Joining me today is Rhett C. Bruno, author of The Circuit Trilogy and Titanborn. Rhett is a Sci-fi/Fantasy author currently living in Stamford, Connecticut.

Releasing today is From Ice to Ashes, the second book set in his Titanborn Universe.

From Ice to Ashes is standalone novel set in, and expanding on his Titanborn Universe, about a humble offworld laborer who gets caught in the tensions between Earth and Titan, the now-colonized moon of Saturn, and winds up knee-deep in a revolution he didn't even know existed.





Hi Rhett, would you like to kick off by telling us a little about yourself and your background?
 I’m from Hauppauge, Long Island and studied Architecture at Syracuse University. By day I work as an architect near Stamford, CT where I live with my Fiancee and puppy, Raven. By night, I write science fiction.

When and how did your journey as a writer begin?
A long, long time ago. I was always drawn to writing little fan fiction about my favorite video games growing up, Soul Reaver, Diablo, etc. At an early age I dealt with some mental issues, and a doctor gave me the advice to write stories to try and keep my mind occupied. From there, I just kept writing more and more until there were novels in front of me.

So what motivates you to write...?
It’s just something I need to do, you know? I think up stories and I’m compelled to write them. To put them together on pages like a puzzle for other people to enjoy. I’ve always enjoyed creating things (architecture, duh!) but nothing more than books. I can’t really explain why, but it’s my greatest passion.

...and what do you enjoy most about writing?
The freedom. The way I can take a vague idea and extrapolate it into a new world flush with interesting characters. Science fiction especially. It’s fun to take ideas that are close to home and push them as far as possible into the future.

Tell us about your writing routine; what’s a typical writing day for you?
 I’m pretty inconsistent. But usually, I write or edit a bit on my lunch break, and then late at night after everyone is asleep. Sometimes, however, I get an idea and will write wherever I am on my phones notepad.


How did you come up with the title?
This was an easy one. It’s a phrase the group the main character falls in with use to honor their dead. It existed in TITANBORN, and just seemed like a natural fit for this story.


Do you develop characters from your personal experiences or draw from that of others?
I’m sure I do, ha, but I can’t say specifically. I usually block out character profiles ahead of time and let them evolve through the story from there. It’s probably impossible to say that I don’t draw from real people that I know or have met.


What's your favourite scene that you’ve written? Can you give us a peek?
It’s a scene in the next book set in the TITANBORN universe which I’ve written. I can’t share it as nothing is signed yet, but it’s a scene where two important characters in the universe finally meet after a very long time. It’s one I’d been looking forward to writing. Let’s just say things don’t go extremely well…

Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?
Scifi fans, thriller fans. A special focus on all those with a thing for 60’s golden age scifi, because that’s my favorite too.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
I would’ve told myself not to get suckered in by a complimentary vanity press at 16. It definitely hurt my career early on when I really needed solid editors and critiques to improve.

Do you remember the first book you read?
I don’t remember the actual first book, but the first ones I remember reading were The . I loved them.

What do you have in your pockets?
My phone, wallet and keys. Always safely placed in the proper pocket!

What is/are your favourite hobbies and pastimes?
Obviously writing, ha. But I’m also a big TV show nut and gamer.

What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
Getting engaged to my fiancée, and then it will probably be getting married!

What three words best describe your personality?
Relaxed, rational, humorous. (the last one doesn’t show in my writing, but I’m usually the one joking around)

When was the last time you walked for more than an hour?
During the last Blizzard that hit western Connecticut! We decided it would be fun to take our dog and go for a walk during it around the neighborhood.

If you had to move from Stamford where would you go, and what would you miss the most about Stamford?
If I had to move away from Stamford I probably would want to go back to Long Island. I don’t see myself living outside of the tri-state are. Mostly, I’d miss being near an urban center where it’s easy to have food delivered, ha.
What did you do this summer?
Worked, unfortunately… I started a new job so I didn’t have many days to use. But we had just moved into a new house in late spring so it was fun filling out the place.

When did you last cry in front of another person?
About a year ago? Me and my fiancée watched The Normal Heart on HBO. It’s easily the saddest thing I’ve ever sat through. Almost too much to handle.

Thank you for joining us today, Rhett! Congratulations on the launch of your new book.



Catch up with Rhett on Facebook, Twitter and his Website, and visit his author pages on Amazon, B&N and Goodreads.

Sign up for Rhett's Newsletter to stay up to date with what he’s working on, get exclusive access to advance copies and more! You also receive his Starter Library as a gift.


From Ice to Ashes

Kale Drayton knows his place. As a Ringer, he’s used to keeping his head down and his mouth shut—no matter how much the Earthers abuse him or his own kind berate him. So when he’s caught stealing from a wealthy merchant, he’s lucky to be sentenced to low-paying maintenance work on a gas-harvesting ship instead of life in a cell . . . or worse.

But when his mother is quarantined, Kale finds himself backed into a corner. To pay for her medicine, he needs money—the kind of money he’ll never make sweeping floors and cleaning ships. So when he receives a mysterious offer asking him to do a simple job in exchange for his mother’s treatment, Kale takes a chance once more. All he has to do is upload a program onto his employer’s ship and all of his problems will disappear.

What starts as a straightforward smuggling gig soon reveals its shattering repercussions. The people who hired Kale are more dangerous than he suspected—and he’s more important to them than he ever could have imagined.

No comments :

Post a Comment