Sunday, 10 April 2016

The Resistance: Leprechaun by Kristyn Stone


Title: The Resistance: Leprechaun 
Author: Kristyn Stone
Genre: Young Adult

When most teenagers turn sixteen they receive a car or a watch from their family but one Florida teen learns a family secret.
Garritt wakes on his sixteenth birthday to find himself as a leprechaun. Garritt must go live with family in Ireland to learn what it means to be a leprechaun. While in Ireland, he makes new friends but an evil plot against the leprechauns is revealed, sadly only Garritt and his friends can stop it.
Being a teenager is hard but being a teenage leprechaun is even harder.

Excerpt 1


It figures that on my sixteenth birthday, that some retarded family trait would stop me from having a normal life; I’m already a dork at school now I’m a freak too.

As I woke up, my family was around my bed. Mom and dad were on either side of me sitting on my bed, while my grandparents were at the edge by my feet. They were all smiling at me, well everyone but mom.

1. “What’s going on? Why is everyone in here? Am I dying? I cannot be dying or else you wouldn’t be smiling, would you?” I asked.

My dad held a mirror for me, I tried to reach for it but I couldn’t, my hands and arms were too small! As I looked into the mirror, I started screaming… I thought I was looking at me. It looked like me, but I was tiny, very tiny.

“You have become the next generation leprechaun of the Burkes clan.” Granda beamed.

Okay that explained it I am a leprechaun. Wait I am a what? No way no way no way…

“Are you out of your freaking minds? Leprechauns don’t exist, so how can I be a leprechaun?” I demanded.

“Garritt, every mythical story comes from some truth,” Dad claimed.

The word leprechaun was running through my mind; me a leprechaun; a small person with a pot of gold and a rainbow. Holy crap. How could I be a leprechaun, I do not even like green, and I do not like money, let alone gold. Okay so I am a leprechaun, how can I hide this? How did my family hide this? There had to be a way to hide it or a way to get rid of it. I never knew my families were leprechauns so that has to be a good sign so I can hide this too, right? I have to clear my head, think straight.



The Author


Kristyn Stone was born Kristyn Burkes in Pahokee Florida on April 15, 1989; she grew up in Lady Lake, Florida.

Kristyn began writing when she was twelve and continued to write after she graduated from Leesburg High School.

Now at the age of twenty-six she has self published two books in The Resistance series, she came up with the story while she was pregnant with her oldest son when she kept having strange dreams of him being a leprechaun.






Excerpt 2


“Sorry Granda I was dreaming and then you woke me; I’m not sure what happened.” I tried to explain to him.

He just looked at me as if I was lying and turned away without another word. Then a wonderful thing happened, I suddenly had to pee. I got up and scooted through the seats to get to the aisle. Granda gave me another stern look as I passed him. I quickly passed people talking in whispers, it felt like they were talking about me. Did they see what just happened to me?

As I got to the restroom, I opened the door, squishing myself into the small space the airline provided for the passenger to use the restroom. Who in his or her right mind believed this small space is big enough for someone to pee in is by far the dumbest person in the world.

I looked down to make sure I was not missing the tiny hole provided, “AAAAAHHHHHHHH!” I screamed.

Instead of missing the hole, it was now like a small pond I was once again a flipping leprechaun. This is going to be seriously hard to control. What in the world, was I going to do about being a leprechaun? I can barely handle my thoughts, I am a teenager for God’s sake, and how was I going to control myself to not be a leprechaun?

There was a knock on the door. Great someone wants in; okay time to come back to reality. Garritt stand tall you are not a leprechaun. I grew fast, thankfully, I zipped up my pants and unlocked the door. I almost ran into the girl on the other side of the door.



Interview



Have you always wanted to be a writer? (And was there a particular moment you thought, ‘I can do this!’?)
No actually more than anything I wanted to go in the Navy, but the recruiters said I was too small. Then my JROTC instructor in high school had me teach a class all by myself for a semester; I really enjoyed it and started to major in teaching. Then I changed my mind again, there is a statistic out there that told me that freshmen in college will change their major at least six times. Thankfully I have not changed that many times but writing has come easy to me (editing not so much but I’m working on that), I like the creative part of me that wants to be a nerd, research everything then make up my own story

What motivates you to write?
Writing for me is like an escape from reality. my boys could be driving me up a wall, or work could have been down right horrible; but when I put pen to paper my whole attitude changes and my mind wanders to another place, a more magical place.

Tell us about your writing routine; what’s a typical writing day for you?
Typically? Oh man... normally I can write a paragraph or two before one of my boys wants something or needs to talk  or to just get love from the mommy lady :)
I try to set my boys up for what they need or want for some quiet time (normally while baby naps now) and bring out my notebook and pen ( yeah, because I like old school - typing just isn't the same while I'm trying to put to words what is going on in my mind). I'll normally have some music or a movie on --- mosly I do a Gilmore Girls marathon while I'm writing or researching.

Tell us about your favourite memory related to reading or writing?
I actually have three memories related to this:
  1. My mom would ground me from reading when I was little if my room or chores weren't done... nothing says nerd like mom taking your books away to clean :)
  2. I remember reading the fourth Harry Potter --- please understand I was maybe 6th grade and I started balling my eyes out, Mom asked me what is wrong --- Cedric had died! To me, that author was my hero, I never met this character and I'm crying because he is dead! I wondered if I could ever do that to readers.
  3. I grew up in Florida and there is one author who wrote his books around my home state. You would look at his maps in front of his books and cities you knew were given new names and were home to magical creatures. For example most of my family is from Lake Okeechobee, Florida. In Piers Anthony's books it was called Lake Oger-Chobee. To me, I thought I was growing up in a magical place and I could meet strange creatures around any corner!


What was the biggest challenge in creating your book?
The hardest part for me is actually the non-fiction places in the story, I put some landmarks from Ireland and Florida in the story. Some of the landmarks I could only describe from stories or pictures because I hadn't been there. I grew up in Florida so those landmarks, like the school, were places I had been to. I just hope Ireland natives aren't calling me names for screwing something up.

Do you develop characters from your personal experiences or draw from that of others?
I'd say both, I have taken names and personalities from friends and family to be my characters. It's easy to write about a person when you know them and are not complete strangers. Garritt is based off my little man, and Sorley is based off a close friend of mine who had always been this strong kick butt kind of guy soI thought he would be perfect for the part of the elf.

Tell us about the cover and how it came about.
Well, it started with Amazon and you can use one of their covers and make it your own... I just thought it didn't fit right and my friend told me that since I do a lot of photo editing that I should just make my own and I did. I found what looked like old parchment that could be used for a journal since Garritt is telling the story and of course, a clover for luck.

Can you tell us a anything about any of your current work(s)-in-progress?
I'm working on book three called Grimm Summit, it's both Garritt and his twin sister dealing with what we all deal with and that has been in the news a lot when it comes to families.

Which writers inspire you?
I think the biggest two are Piers Anthony and Mercedes Lackey, I loved how Piers turned my home state into this mysterious country with creatures everywher. Mercedes, I just loved how she took something that should be impossible and turned it into a place I wish I could have been part of with the Dragon Jouster series.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?
Honestly in five years, I would love to have this third book out, be able to walk into a public library, search their catalog and  see at least one of my books in their system. To me that means someone liked it, even if the fan base is small, I reached one person who enjoyed it.
Seems far fetched but one can hope, right?

How did you celebrate last Halloween?
Last Halloween I was nine months pregnant and took my six year old out for one last Halloween as an only child. I think we hit nine houses before mommy's feet were killing her but he cuddled up to me when we got home, shared some candy and watched a movie.

What's your top hobby you do when not writing?
I can quilt actually, most women in my family have learned at least one craft from the 'old times'. My mum can stitch and a little crochet and my grannies can quilt too. I have made quite a few baby quilts and I've been working on a queen quilt for a while now.

What is the best TV show you've seen in the last month?
Oh, I have been sucked into DC Comics with the Gotham TV show! I love how Bruce Wayne is young and you learnabout how the bad guys became that way... I'm wondering if they liked each other, how did she go bad? Or little Ivy was creepy and becomes dangerous!
But I must say I'm excited for the new season of Game of Thrones to begin!

Where did you go to high school? What was your high school like?
My high school is described in the book, it had beautiful Spanish architecture, that during my sophomore year, the school decided they wanted to upgrade and turned it into a mess of how beautiful the school was. I went to Leesburg High School in Leesburg, Florida. I think I was in my senior year or junior year before I actually heard our victory bell ring  after a football game! I remember being in the stands and thinking 'What is that noise?' My friends laughed "Midge, that's our victory bell. We won." (Everyone calls me Midge because I'm so short.)

Do you have any pets?
I currently own a beautiful apricot English Mastiff, named Boomer. If you ever hear a mastiff bark you will understand why he is Boomer :)
He is the biggest cuddle monster there is, sounds scarey when you meet him but he just wants to lay on you and sleep, (all 190lbs of him).
My best pet was a Pit mix who found me one day while I was walking home, someone threw her out right after she had babies, she took me in as her baby,  protected me and in return I gave her a nice bed to share with me. She kept me sane when my hubs was on deployment while I was pregnant, and after Baby was born she did the same for him.

What would constitute a "perfect" day for you?
Perfect day would be when my seven year old behaves! That's all it would take for me. :)

If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future, or anything else, what would you want to know?
I'd want to know that my little boys enjoy life and of course how many grandkids will I be able to play with and spoil.



Excerpt 3


“The talent of hearing thoughts, even secrets deep in your mind; or finding fears deep within your mind, people can use them against you, we have vowed never to do so but the clan that wants our talent is not like us.” Shivered Mrs. Cole.

I looked over at Grams trying to figure out what she might be thinking but she had one hell of a poker face. I heard Aiden snicker beside me, still holding my hand.

Everyone turned to look at us, trying to figure out what we were thinking.

“Boy why are you gig..”

Knock, bang, knock.

“Are we expecting anyone else woman?” Granda asked Grams.

Grams swatted him as he moved toward the front door. He quickly swung the door open revealing…

“Mom?” I was stunned.

“Close your mouth, I sent you a message letting you know I was coming,” Mom laughed.

Granda ushered Mom into the sitting room, as she walked into the room Aiden’s parents dropped to their knees bowing at her. I turned toward Aiden about to ask him what they were doing when I saw Aiden was bowing too.

“Please get back to your seats, I hated all this bowing, formal crap when I lived here.” Sighed Mom.

Grams was smiling at me, for some reason it felt really odd.

“Greg, Krystene, it’s great to see you both again! Krystene I see you kept your talent instead of taking on Greg’s. I love how you messaged me.” Mom spoke with a smile.

Mr. Cole looked at his wife with a look of amazement. Aiden was smiling, he turned toward me whispering “mom can change constellations, that is how dad first asked her on a date.”

“Your mom changed stars and your dad asked her out?” I asked.

“Yes, she wrote ‘just ask me already’ with the stars,” laughed Aiden.



Enter the Giveaway to win a paperback copy of Leprechaun and the second book in the series.











No comments :

Post a Comment