Friday, 8 April 2016

Interview with Marco Marek

Italian author, Marco Marek is the next author to sit in my interviewee's chair today. Marco has a fervid imagination and a passion for fantasy stories, medieval magicians, ancient history, and unexplained mysteries. He is also a painter and he likes digital artwork on Photoshop.

Hello Marco, thank you for joining me today.
Would you like to start by telling us when you first thought you wanted to be a writer?
Well I started to write a sci-fi story in a block notes when I was a teenager, inspired by Blade Runner, but I left it, maybe I thought writing was a big thing.
In 2010 I had the idea to write a story and I did it! Since I can easily create fantastic worlds in my mind, I thought why don't I put it on paper?

And what motivates you to write?
My motivation is to create fantasy stories and to be inside of it while I'm writing. I would need a day with 72 hours to have the time to write all the ideas I have in mind.

Where did the idea for Hyperearth come from?
I visited an old Middle Ages castle in Slovakia and I was fascinated by it. After I returned home I had the idea to create a story.

Which, if any, of your personality traits did you write into your characters?
The feeling that the two girls have for travel, and that they are friendly and open to new friendships.

Did you develop characters from your personal experiences or draw from that of others?
For one of the two girls that are the main characters, I had inspiration from one friend of mine.

Which of your characters do you relate to the most?
Maybe Hennig, he more like me because he tells fantasy stories.

Please give us an insight into your main characters in Hyperearth...
Martina and Mary are two teenage girls and they are curious. They would like to travel because their city is too small for them, so when they find the Khenon they are excited to depart. They are easygoing, funny, kind and open to friendship.

...And who is your favourite character?
Loken the wise. His calmness and knowledge is a something that everyone should have. When he's around all is secure and protected.

"I have seen Monument Valley lot of times on western movies with John Wayne and I always thought to visit it one day."

Please describe your favourite scene or chapter in Hyperearth and tell us why it’s your favourite?
I have many...
When the two girls first see Sathon castle, they admire the two towers in front and after they explore inside of it.
When the group visit Vosok ghost town and encounter  terrible creatures.
The showdown at Artemis residence led by Loken the wise.
When the group meet two moving giant rock statues.
The fossil mosquito inside the amber  rebirth.

Which scene or chapter was the hardest for you to write?
Chapter nine, I had to create events while they are going down, I had a writing block for a while but I solved it.

How important to you are character names in your books? Do you choose them based on liking the way it sounds or the meaning?
Well, I think they are important at least for the main characters. Sometimes they have a meaning, like Mary in honor of my grandmother and Martina is a dear friend of mine, Danni is an English model that I like, for the others I thought the names just fit their personality.

In a perfect world where you could cast your book for a movie, who would you pick for your main characters?
For Mary and Martina I would like to choose Ashley Benson and Shay Mitchell.

Please tell us about the cover/s and how it/they came about...
I thought that the cover must be related to the main theme of the story, so what's better than a castle? So I put a castle and also the aurora on the background for a better effect, since the two girls see one in the story
I designed and created the cover myself.

...And do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Yes, of course, a great cover gives more chances that the book will be bought.  If readers are attracted when seeing it,  there is more chance that they buy it.

Can you tell us about any of your current work(s)-in-progress?
I have to finish writing a new book, a thriller story with the provisional title of Amstel Girl. The main character is Wesley, a Dutch guy, who has been locked in a psychiatric hospital for two years, and it's when he's released that the troubles start for him. He meets a girl, Megan, and she is his partner in this intrigue, though with up and downs and a love-hate relationship. There is a final twist at the end.

I hope we readers don't have too long to wait.
We're going to put the books to one side for now, Marco, and find out a bit about you!
Please tell us a funny thing that happened to you as a small child.
When I was drinking in a fountain I started laughing non-stop for many minutes, my father took pictures of it, so we always remember that.

Do you like to get up early or stay up late?
I like to wake up early and stay up late because I don't like to sleep all the morning. There are many things to do and I don't want waste time sleeping. Sometimes I don't feel going to sleep, even if it is late at night, thinking I have a lot to do.

Who is your favourite actor of your own gender?
Robert De Niro my favorite, he has done lot of great movies, but I my favorite scene is from Taxi Driver, when he said are you talking to me? He was trying the gun and looking at himself in the mirror.

Which country would you most like to visit?
I have visited New York and it was amazing, I would love to visit California, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon. I'm attracted to the sunny weather, beaches, palms and Hollywood for California. For the others, I love how time has transformed the land. I have seen Monument Valley lot of times on western movies with John Wayne and I always thought to visit it one day.

"I would need a day with 72 hours to have the time to write all the ideas I have in mind."

What is the last concert you saw?
It was Run DMC about 20 years ago in Italy, I bought one of their albums, but my favourite bands are Motley Crue, Guns 'n Roses, Oasis - I have all of their albums - and Duran Duran, I have their first 6 albums too. I haven't seen all of them live, unfortunately.

What would constitute a "perfect" day for you?
My perfect day will be if I'm traveling, exploring cities, but when I'm not traveling an outdoor ride on my mountain bike, or a day with a nice girl.

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
I would like to have the quality to play piano like a master.

What is your favourite holiday?
I like to visit cities especially historical ones like Prague.  I like old history and architecture, like St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague, it is wonderful and Charles Bridge is too. I like the sea too, but with the good company of a girlfriend. A favorite holiday must be with good company otherwise it would be hell.

If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future, or anything else, what would you want to know?
I don't know, maybe I wouldn't want to know! It could tell good things but also the bad, so better to not know so I'll live more relaxed, though I'm very curious.

Last question... if you were ever stranded on a deserted island what would you miss the most and which three books would you take along?
Well I would miss the activity of the city, drinking a beer, eating ice cream and driving my car, but if I was with Elisha Cuthbert I wouldn't care about those things, lol.
I would take the books of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and  Fingerprints of Gods by Graham Hancock.

Thank you for joining us all the way from Italy, Marco. ;) Have a great time at the Brain to Books Cyber Convention.!

Find Marco here:

Buy Hyperearth here:

No comments :

Post a Comment