Sunday, 17 April 2016

Bright’s Passion by E.B. Black




Title:
Bright’s Passion
Author: E.B. Black
Genre: Fantasy Romance


Bright wishes he wasn't the god of the suns.

Every day is the same: he makes the suns rise and then they set. He looks down at humanity's corruption. He watches wars, people starving, and thieves stealing.

He can't help. Every time he tries, the humans take something from him. They've destroyed his family and he has no doubt that they'd like to destroy him, too.

Adonya is a raven-haired witch with powers that make her as close to a goddess as a human can be. He's wondered what it was like to be with a woman, but all the goddesses are dead.

He can feel it when he touches her--she's as dangerous as all the rest of the humans. Can the power of love join their races together? Or will one of them wind up dead in the end?


FREE on  Smashwords | Kobo | Nook


Author Bio


E.B. Black is the annoying author who lives in the head of a nerdy housewife named Elizabeth. Elizabeth tries to live out her days by walking her dog, spending time with her husband, doing housework, and watching television, but E.B. Black makes her drop everything to type out weird fantasy stories. Elizabeth is asking anyone who read this to please send help.




Interview


Have you always wanted to be a writer? (And was there a particular moment you thought, ‘I can do this!’?)
I’ve always loved reading and daydreaming, but I didn’t know I wanted to be around until around the time I turned eighteen. I had tried writing various things growing up and never got far with it. This time, I was determined to sit down and write a little bit every day, even when it wasn’t fun or I didn’t feel inspired. I wanted to complete writing something for once and make writing a habit. This motivation changed my life.

What motivates you to write?
I’ve always been a daydreamer. When I was a teenager, my head was constantly in the clouds. Writing breathes life into your daydreams. I’m taking ideas and fantasies and making them a real thing.
I also believe that you can say so much more to someone through a story than you can talking to them to directly. When you read a story, you are put in the characters’ situation directly. You feel what they feel, you see what they see. It allows you to experience things you wouldn’t otherwise understand.

Tell us about your writing routine; what’s a typical writing day for you?
I spend different amounts of time writing every day. Sometimes I am writing all day long, other times for only twenty minutes or something between those two numbers. I usually sit down on my bed and my dog curls up next to me. I wrap my blanket around both of us (it’s just as fun to write wrapped up warmly in a blanket as it is to read that way.) Then I start typing.

Tell us about your favourite memory related to reading or writing?
I don’t know why, but one of my favorite memories about writing took place when I was a little girl in summer school. My mother used to send me to summer school every year and I used to like it actually. Summer school as a child was a lot of being read to and crafts. Our teacher had us draw a picture of something. I drew a picture of a heart. Then she said that we should write a story based on our picture, so I wrote a short story about a time traveling locket. It was fun diving into my imagination that way. I loved creative challenges even as a little girl.

What was the biggest challenge in creating your book?
I decided to rewrite it from scratch twice. It was discouraging because it took me a long time to rewrite each time. But I learned a lot about character development and storytelling in the process.

"Every writer I talk to inspires me because they have the bravery to work hard putting words on paper, even though there’s no guarantee that they will be paid for it."

Do you develop characters from your personal experiences or draw from that of others?
A lot of my characters come from the way I view the world. I don’t see people as good and bad, I see them all as something in between the two. A lot of my characters have faults, both strengths and weaknesses.
I am a good listener and a lot of people come to me with their problems in real life. Sometimes talking to them inspires me to write things, but it’s still usually my view of their situation, how I sympathize with them and how complicated life can be, rather than their view.

Tell us about the cover and how it came about.
I’m a self-published author who doesn’t have a big budget to work with. I spend most of my money on editing and marketing. A lot of my book covers are premade covers because they are cheaper. I’m addicted to looking at premade covers and when I see one that fits one of the books I am working on (or a book I hope to work on within the next couple of years), I’ll purchase a cover for it. I’ve looked at thousands of premade covers, so I only choose ones that I feel really represent my books.
For Bright’s Passion, the cover I found was beautiful. I loved it because it was brightly colored and had a fantasy feel. It was also romantic and the greenery on it matched both my characters’ connections with nature. It reminded me of them.

Can you tell us anything about any of your current work(s)-in-progress?
One of the books I am working on is a book I finished a long time ago. I decided to rewrite a lot of it, now that I know more. It’s called Spirit Speaker. It’s a young adult fantasy novel about a girl who practices necromancy. Necromancy is death magic. She starts losing control of her powers, which endangers her friends’ lives and her crush.

Which writers inspire you?
Every writer I talk to inspires me because they have the bravery to work hard putting words on paper, even though there’s no guarantee that they will be paid for it.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?
I would like to be both traditionally published and self-published. I’d like to have released five to eight more novels by that time.

"For Bright’s Passion, the cover I found was beautiful. I loved it because it was brightly colored and had a fantasy feel. It was also romantic and the greenery on it matched both my characters’ connections with nature. It reminded me of them."

As a reader, I find myself wanting to know more about the authors that write the amazing books we read...
How did you celebrate last Halloween?
My husband, my brother, and I are all proud nerds, so we invited our friend over to play a game of World Of Darkness. It’s like Dungeons and Dragons (a roleplaying/storytelling game), but with vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and other supernatural creatures like that.

Where did you go to high school?
I went to two different high schools. First, public school and then homeschool. My favorite of the two was homeschool because I learned so much doing it. My Mom let me choose my own curriculum, so I was able to learn things I was interested in. I was super motivated, too. I wanted to learn ancient history one year, so I bought all these books for it and worked on a one hundred page essay about Ancient Rome. It also allowed me to learn some practical things, like I spent half a year studying taxes and how to calculate them for math.

Do you have a pet?
I have a dog who is part rottweiler named Izzy. I adopted her from a shelter and she’s super sweet. She loves everyone she meets and always wants attention. She likes curling up with me when I am writing, in fact, she’s curled up with me right now.
She’s very sensitive to me. I never realized that I gasp loudly whenever I am shocked or upset by something until she started lunging at me and licking my face in concern whenever I do it. I’ll be reading a book or watching a television show and there will be some kind of plot twist. I’ll gasp loudly and she jumps up and races to me if I’m on the other side of the room. She has to lick me until she has decided that I feel better. It’s so cute.

If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future, or anything else, what would you want to know?

I wouldn’t want to know anything about the future. I don’t want it to effect my decisions. Sometimes it’s good to fail and I wouldn’t want to miss out on learning from those experiences. Some tragedies are destined to happen, no matter what you do, and I wouldn’t want to spend my life worrying about what I will do when those bad things occur. I think we are meant to take life only one day at a time because it’s all we can handle. It’s like when people obsess over the past and their mistakes, it prevents them from enjoying the present. If I knew about the future, I might be so worried about what was to come that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy right now.


No comments :

Post a Comment